Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mina Makes...the Royal Wedding Day Fun!

Way back in April, the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton was the only news fit to be broadcast, apparently.  As I am generally a sucker for weddings, and Mina, like most little girls, is a sucker for princesses, I decided to make a theme day of it at home.  There would be costumes, a tea party, and princess books.  It was a success, and I'd love to share a bit about our indulgent day here, on our very own, fancy schmancy, new blog. 

We started the day with costumes.  Mina has princess gear lying around, but it was much harder for me to rustle something up.  I settled on a sleeveless lilac dress from Land's End, it was laughably unglamorous, but the best I could do.  I threw on a floppy orange beach hat and one of Mina's necklaces and called it an ensemble!  She of course had a tiara, which I ended up wearing most of the day myself.  So we were dressed to go.  She helped her dad make coffee at her "Royal Coffee Shoppe" before I made my grand entrance downstairs (ha!).


The rest of the day was spent watching highlights of the wedding on TV, reading our princess books we had checked out from the library, and making and decorating cookies for our tea party.  And yes, I wore my "princess" clothes the entire day.  The highlight of the day turned out to be the cookie project, as I had forgotten how delightful my recipe for sugar cookies is, and Mina had a blast decorating them.  They are flaky like a pie crust, not too sweet, and perfect for adorning with sprinkles.  So here's the recipe, originally from the mother of my Aunt Peggy.   

Dorothy's Sugar Cookies
In a large bowl, mix:
3 Cups Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Add:
1 Cup of cold butter
Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, or 2 butter knives until the butter is in pieces smaller than peas, and an even crumbly texture is achieved. 

In another bowl beat together:
1 Cup Sugar 
2 Eggs
Vanilla to taste

Add the Egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until well blended.  The dough will be very crumby and won't hold together in the bowl - this is what we want!  Pour out the dough crumbs onto a large piece of cling wrap and pull in the sides until the dough crumbs are brought together in a disc shape.  Use the cling wrap to bring the dough together in a tight cohesive shape (no longer crumbly).  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Roll out the cookies on a floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.  This is the part where your own discretion comes in.  I baked my cookies at 335 F for 14 minutes, using a dark non-stick cookie sheet (bake at 350 F if using a lighter colored baking sheet).  The baking time will depend completely on the size of cookies you've cut out, your oven, and how cold your dough is - so use your own cookie judgment and keep an eye on them.  We frosted with store-bought frosting and sprinkles.  I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! 



I hope you'll find an excuse to have a Princess Day at your house soon, even without a royal wedding to celebrate!  Our favorite princess book is called "The Princess and the Pizza."  It is fun, related to food, and has a very feminist-friendly ending where the princess decides she doesn't need to marry the prince and opens her own business (great, huh?).  So check it out from the library and read it to your magic foodie princess, I know she'll love it!  
And thanks for reading my first ever post,
Kerry




1 comments:

Katiedidtoo said...

That sounds like a wonderful day! Wish I could have been there too!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Mina Makes Magic!. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase