Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Shortcake!

Shortcake is a classic summer dessert, but not one I get around to making terribly often. In an effort to get Mina to eat more fruit (and whipped cream?), I decided to bake up some homemade shortcakes this week for a weeknight treat. I love the traditional biscuit-style shortcake. They are buttery and only slightly sweet with a crispy, golden bottom. They should be eaten the day they are baked, as they lose a lot of integrity by the second day, but that shouldn't be a problem with all of the delicious fruit this time of year, not to mention opportunities for entertaining.

My grandma was the source of most of the kitchen magic of my childhood, and I want to share as many of her recipes with Mina as I can. I want to keep her particular brand of Iowa farm cooking alive. So I am sharing her recipe with you as well. Please make it for someone you love :)


Grandma Schantz's Shortcakes
Serves 6


2 Cups Flour
2 TBS Sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/3 Cup Shortening or Butter
1 Cup of Milk

Stir the first four ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter or shortening with a pastry blender. Stir in the milk. Drop the dough in 6 mounds on an baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown. Top with whipped cream, milk, fruit, or whatever toppings you prefer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Mina Makes Magic!. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase